Wednesday 18 February 2015

Vaeldrin's Mark: The War in the North - Andreas - Prologue

“I grow impatient with these continued failures, Archmage!” The snivelling old wizard cowered in fear at my outburst. This… Rodent was who my father appointed Royal Court Wizard?
“Have you made any progress into figuring out what these relics are, Lennus?” Archmage Lennus shook his head and looked at me as if I were about to strike him.
“Lennus, is there any good news you bring me today?”
“Well, your highness, we have come to the conclusion that the tablets were indeed crafted by the ancient korrivar but for what purpose, we cannot know for certain. However, we have come close to deciphering the runic texts carved into them, but it could be weeks before we come to any decisive conclusions as to what they mean.”
The wizard puffed out his chest and took on a look of pride at this news. This weasel was just as foolish as I thought.
“Humph, interesting news, Archmage, but still not good enough. Orcs have been spotted on our eastern borders pillaging fishing villages and small towns. The giants plot to destroy our wards and walls on the Bridge from their cities in the north, and the korrivar continue to be a threat further north still. We require a better defence if we are to hold back our enemies, you know this.”
“Yes, sire but-”
“I will hear no more, Lennus. Use the information you do have and invoke the power in the tablets. The magic the dark elves of old wielded was quite formidable during the days of the first Korrivaran Ascendency and that magic will now be utilized by the Romulan Empire.
“My Emperor, for all we know these tablets could destroy Rom killing thousands. I cannot do this with good conscience. I will not,” The Archmage stated with force.
“Do you dare defy me, Lennus? Very well then, if you insist on disobeying me.”
With one swift wave of my hand a ball of fire flew at lennus and struck him on the temple, scarring his head and knocking him to the floor. I arose from my throne and strode across the marble floor of the great hall towards the maimed wizard.
“I have allowed your failures and little fits of rebellion to sneak past my wrath for far too long. No longer! For I am Andreas, 82nd Emperor of Rom, and I do not tolerate failure!”
My magic was far superior to this so called Archmage. He would receive no mercy now. The winds were called to my aid and with them at my side, I lifted the old man into the air and with a clenched fist, crushed his spine. His crumpled corpse fell to the ground where my guards moved to drag his lifeless body out of my throne room. I now moved to speak to my court.
“Let this be a warning to all those who would think to defy me. I hope I have made myself clear today, no dissidents will be tolerated in my empire.” I affirmed.
The court was in utter fear of me and I relished in it.
“Now, bring me the Mages Guild along with the Korrivaran tablets. Let us see what the powers of the ancient dark elves can do for us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment