Wednesday 14 May 2014

Daily Freewrite - After The Battle

So much carnage, so much destruction. This desolate land was once home to the people of the forest, druids, caretakers of nature. I was the last one. Every one else, was gone. I pulled out my pipe and match. How the Infinite Legion had found us I'll never know. The legion had been driven to madness over their long centuries as slaves to the humans. I can understand why they would have a personal vendetta with the humans but not us. The humans were twisted and evil and they deserved their fate. We, on the other hand, did not. I placed my pipe in my mouth and took a puff. I perched on top of a stone facing out over the battlefield. When the legion came with their war machines and mounted elephant riders, we had little to no hope. They arrived and slaughtered every man, woman and child in their midst. I lead our warriors into battle and hell did we give them a fight. For what seemed like hours, we held our own against the better equipped Legion, and were nearing victory. That was when there leader showed up and began throwing my men about. He broke our host on the field and decimated our archer line. I ran to meet him in single combat and nearly vanquished him. That would have been the end, had the Legion's dragon riders not come. They burned down our forests, turned our village to ash, and drove our livestock from the hills. We had nothing left. The leader fled along with the bulk of his forces. As i cut down my final Legion soldier, I cried out in victory. We had driven them out but the cost had been much too great for I was the sole remaining druid in the entire forest. Now I don't know what to think. What can I do now that all of my people are dead, and my way of life is crushed. Nothing to do but rebuild. Rebuild and repopulate. I need to find survivors or we are a doomed race. I breathed in my last puff of smoke, placed my pipe in my backpack, and leapt into the forest. I couldn't look back. Too much pain, I had to keep it boiled up. I would save it for my revenge. My revenge on the leader, the Legion, the humans even. It was not the druid way, but it was my way.


CM

No comments:

Post a Comment