Sunday 25 May 2014

Daily Freewrite - The Island

          Shrouded in mystery, the island off the coast of Darwin's botanical gardens had stimulated our curiosity during our few short days there. Some theorized that a strange magic lay over the island, while others believed that a lost race of gorilla men lay in waiting beneath the primal entanglement of fir trees. Some even believed the ghost of Charles Darwin himself called the island home. "Guys, let's cross over and see what's over there," My friend Anthony suggested. I felt uneasy at the thought of the cursed place, and despite my unfathomable inquisitiveness, abstained from following my comrades. While me, and two others a stayed behind, the group began the trek across the water to, what could possibly be, their end. As I watched them go, a sick feeling took root in my stomach, like a weed slowly overtaking a flower. Darkness fell, and a dense fog settled over the island and I lost all knowledge of their existence. It was time to head back to the lodge, lest I fall victim to whatever I felt was crawling over the forest floor. 
          Hours later, worry found itself in our hearts. We knew something had gone awry but did not know which course of action to take. It was decided that we'd go and find them. Trudging back through the woods in absolute black put me on edge. "The Darwinists might've gotten them," my friend Riley joked. I laughed but I truly suspected that might be the case. I had felt this entire trip that we were slowly being inducted into a cult from which there would be no leaving. The hovels and sculptures of the Darwinists rose up as monuments of human evolution throughout the trees, and would petrify even the bravest man. Luckily my companions and I had the ancients on our side to watch over our travels. No petty witchcraft could touch us. We arrive at the beach just as the fog began to clear. Low and behold, across the water, the men were fighting Darwin's followers. They were trespassing on the resting place of their great leader and had finally met their doom. 
          As I believed them to be lost, a small rowboat seemed to materialize out of thin air. I could not make out the vessels operator, but he appeared to be my friends' saviour. One by one they piled into his boat and escaped the clutches of the extremists. We let out cries of rejoice as they approached the mainland. Their rescuer looked much like Darwin. It was Charles Darwin incarnate! The apparition of Darwin began to speak as soon as all were safely on shore. "My people have deviated from my original teachings and have dishonoured themselves in the principles of Darwinism. They are heretics and will be punished according to the law. And just like that, he was gone. That day will be marked with much wonder in my eyes. I will always remember the spectacle that was THE ISLAND...

No comments:

Post a Comment