Monday 28 April 2014

Daily Freewrite - Ten Days Away - Adven Short Story

We were still ten days away. Ten days from our goal. Broken, in disrepair, hungry and thirsty, me and the war-bot WB-74 had no choice but to trudge on in search of this mysterious radio signal we had picked up. About ten days from our position was a supposed command post, the last Advenian post on Ilos, offering extraction from this god-forsaken snowball. Danger abound, snow covered wildnerness, Hostile Zorganians everywhere, no supplies, and my only companion is a Juggernaut-class warbot. I lived for this shit. "Well, what do ya think ya pile of bolts, turn in for the night?" I said. WB straightened, looking around frantically. "DANGER---ZORGANIAN PATROL---COUNT AT 7 MAYBE MORE---IMMINENT DANGER---COMBAT PROTOCOLS ENGAGED." And with that he was gone over the snow bank to slaughter some poor saps who happened to be Zorganians. Uggh, Zorganians, horrible creatures. Green, ugly, warmongering little freaks is what they are. "Heh, I can hear their screams already." I followed the sound of death over the hills until I saw my trusty battle droid ripping the head off of the last Zorganian. "Have fun, big guy?" I asked. "AFFIRMATIVE HUMAN---MUST CONTINUE ON COURSE---IF WE ARE TO REACH--- COORDINATES 7-4-9-0--- IN TEN DAYS." "Heh, but first I need some sleep." "AFFIRMATIVE HUMAN--- POWERING DOWN." The next morning we awoke and continued. "Of all the planets I've been deployed to, this has gotta be the worst." I said. WB remained silent. Days passed as we continued trekking through the snow, endless snow. We neared the command centre. I crossed over yet another snow bank and I saw the base. "Finally we can get off this rock," I said. I made a move to sprint down the hill when, out of nowhere, pain in my leg. I collapsed. I could recognize the sound of the blast that hit my leg. Zorganian sniper. Two Zorganian dropships arrived on the scene. WB-74, the brave fool, charged and leapt onto one bringing it down. I thought, just for a second, that we might get through this alive. My hopes were dashed when the other ship fired torpedoes at my companion, utterly obliterating him. They turned their sights on me. The command centre transmissions were a trap put in place to lure survivors into thinking they could escape this fight. Who was I kidding, The Advenian Federation abandoned this place right after the offensive failed. They left me for dead. The Zorganians firmly held this system, and I was never going home. Well, I had had a good run anyway. The dropship aimed, and fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment