Tuesday 4 March 2014

Daily Freewrite - March 4, 2014 - Den of Monsters

This is a little short story I wrote in writing 12 last semester:

In the morning I see things have gotten worse. My face appears to have aged ten years overnight. Have I aged ten years in actuality I cannot remember. I've lost track of time. Hours, days, weeks, months, years, none of them matter anymore. Nothing matters ever since IT happened. The enjoyable has been destroyed. I forget the taste of food, the touch of grass, the sound of birds, and the feeling of love. Unspeakable horrors plague my days, and uncountable nightmares haunt my nights. What I once knew to be good is now gone. The evil taint of mankind has devoured this earth until there was nothing left. We dried up its resources, and impregnated it with our corrupt desires. We went down a path of chaos in the name of progress, and blind ambition. Greed came before need, powers rose and fell, and the deeds of man plunged us into war. What's done is done and life goes on. Life... Heh.. It's just a joke now. Death is beginning to look more attractive by the day, and it's attempts to seduce me have almost won. The damned harlot has almost grasped me in her shadowy claws. Well, it's time to go. I left the mirror, grabbed my belongings and stepped out the door. This house I had stayed in belonged to a family once. A hardworking father, a caring mother, an energetic little boy, and a sweet little girl. All turned to ash and now just a hovel to keep a wretch like me under a roof for another few hours. Rifle in hand, I trudged out into the nuclear wasteland that we've created for ourselves. This desolate land was once Chicago. At least, it may have been Chicago. Memories of better days no longer have a place in this world. Chicago is a city no longer, but instead, a den of monsters.


CM

No comments:

Post a Comment