Monday 3 March 2014

Daily Post - March 3, 2014

Today, my friend read over the first few chapters of the book and gave me some of the first concrete criticism that I've seen since I started this thing. He said that I rushed the description of one or two of my characters too much. The giant Hrothor is not explicitly named a nephilim until halfway through his first chapter. I'm stuck between the two descriptive problems I tend to face: Too much description so that it clogs up the text, and too little description so that people can't get a clear image of how the character looks. I adequately described the human Rowan at the beginning but I really need to work on the description of Hrothor. That delicate balance must always be struck in anything you write. give your audience a satisfactory amount of description without giving too much right away. Hrothor, in my own head, is my favourite character in the universe that I've created. He deserves a great deal of description, and seeing as my friend could not see that he was a giant until partway through the chapter, I have a lot of work to do.


CM

No comments:

Post a Comment